Mechanical Industrial Sheet Metal (Air Handling) Designer
Sheet Metal Designer will work under the guidance of the Project Manager or Mechanical Engineering Manager in the development of layouts, fabrication details, specifications and material lists associated with the design of cooling wind systems and combustion air systems associated with glass furnace repair and construction. Individuals with experience in the design of heat treatment furnaces, incinerators, combustors, metal production furnaces and similar backgrounds will have relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience with designing industrial air handling systems (sheet metal/ductwork), including the preparation of fabrication and erection details.
- Minimum 5 years AutoCAD experience with version 2007 or later; experience in Inventor a plus. Experience using AutoCAD MEP and Inventor design software a plus.
- Minimum 3 years experience checking designs, layouts, shop details, erection drawings and material list.
- Ability to travel (up to 10%)
- Glass melting furnace and glass batch plant experience a plus.
- Ability and experience to prepare sheet metal design drawings with sizes as specified by Project Manager or design authority.
- Ability and experience checking design and erection drawings prepared by others (3 years min.).
- Sufficient knowledge and familiararity with mechanical design principles to be able to address a wide range of situations.
- Application of sound engineering fundamentals in the completion of assignments.
- Experience designing both bolted and welded connections.
- Capable of calculating weights of finished members/components.
- Capable of working in both English and metric units required.
- Experience with glass melting furnaces a plus, but not required.
- Experience with fan curves, fan selection, pressure drop calculations a plus.
- Knowledge of shop operations and fabrication practices a plus.
- Under the direction of the Project Manager or design authority, designer will prepare a complete design of industrial sheet metal ductwork systems for a glass melting furnace from a scope of work and reference drawings.
- Under the direction of the Project Manager or design authority, designer will design, produce and check drawings of schematics, physical layouts and fabrication details. Designer will also prepare Specifications and Bills of Material documents.
- Should be able to insure that the designs provide the best combination of technical accuracy and practical application.
- Should be able to coordinate work with other disciplines (civil, structural, refractory and piping).
- Must be able to perform independently on most assignments.
Will report to Mechanical Engineering Supervisor. Will receive technical assistance on design criteria and concepts from Project Manager or design authority.
If you are interested in a career opportunity, please forward your resume with salary history to: email@example.com